Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Welcome to 2009!

Happy new year! I hope 2009 is full of adventure for you :)

I havent posted for a while, but that isnt because nothing has been happening, the opposite in fact, lots has! I will give an update in a moment, but first to tell you that I ended 2008 with a last minute trip to Paris to attend the top conference in my area of IT. I made it there with 3 days notice, I didnt think it was possible! It was a fabulous adventure and I was very inspired by meeting some of the most well respected people in Information Systems. Some pics from the trip  below :) The first one is obvious, the 2nd is the girls at the Abbey for one of our dinner (5 courses!), the 3rd is all of us at the doctoral consortium (student workshops where they  worked us very hard :) and last pic is a cocktail party at the Sorbonne - the oldest university in Paris (built in 1253), very privileged to be part of it!


















This all happened the day after I presented my research at a conference in New Zealand, so it was a very busy time! But it really was a great time. But now to finish writing my PhD.

Other things happening late in 2008....
  • Copies of the book went out to all attendees at the NT Roadshow that was held in June and August last year in the following locations. Our tech girl Lauren flew to NT to present to the girls and boys, thanks Lauren! :) and thanks to Rebecca Pan for organising such a fabulous set of events. - 5 June - Darwin High School, 1 Aug - Dripstone Middle School, 11 Aug - Nhulunbuy High, School, 14 Aug - Kormilda College








  • I was invited by Donna Alexander to present about the book at the Canberra Women in Computing Hot Breakfast series on the 11th of Nov. It was a really fun breakfast and I met many wonderful ladies. Tracey from the book was meant to go but couldnt so I was happy to! Thanks to the AIIA for supporting it.











  • We got a little more promo for the book on the back of my Anita Borg Google Scholarship, a nice article in the newspaper of my home town. And I realise I didnt follow up on telling how I went at the Anita Borg Google scholarship, but I didnt win. Thats ok because I had the best time. It was brilliant! Who wouldnt want to work for Google ... ?
I am sure there are other things I have forgotten and will post them when they come to mind. So many things always happening with the book it can be a struggle to keep up!

1 comment:

Sue Nielsen said...

What a busy girl! Hard to keep up with all your doings. Good thing we get to read about you in the papers :)